Saturday, March 28, 2009

NUS ODAC EXPEDITION TO CONEY ISLAND, LOST OAKLEY, STRESSED

Today I went over to Pasir Ris Park to conduct an
kayaking expedition for NUS ODAC (Outdoor Adventure Club)
team and it feels kinda shitty to do this job.

I don't mind helping them to 'lead' the way but some
of them gets on my nerve due to paddling slowly or either
purposely capsizing their boats.

The process of rescuing them and bailing out the water
is really tedious and I doubt that anyone likes to bail out the
water from a capsized boat such as a DOUBLE SLALOM(FIBERGLASS).

It is totally shit as the double slalom is effing heavy when there
is water in it due to the length and there's not much of buoyancy
inside the kayak. Some of the buoyancy is not even secured!

Oh my!

Anyway, I started the briefing with the ODAC students
with just a very very stupid brief and then set off in a diamond
formation. The worse part is that everyone clustered around
the right marker and some even paddle DAMN SLOW.

I was the sweeper of the whole formation, that means that
no one be behind me. If not, I would actually scold them or either
request them to hurry up.


So, paddled to coney and reached within 2hours (kinda long already).
Paddled back to Pasir Ris Park and taught one girl how to
do an Eskimo Roll. It is a skill for you to recover whenever
you're capsized and do not wish to bail out from your kayak.

Eventually, she didn't manage to get to know how to do a
proper Eskimo Roll, but rather, I taught her how to do a
Palata Roll, MIND YOU, ITS PALATA, NOT PRATA!

Difference between a Palata and a Eskimo roll is that
Palata Roll attains more support due to the length
of the paddle is being maximized but the Eskimo Roll is
a roll which is very graceful and swift if you could execute it well.


Okay, enough crap.

Then the NUS ODAC team invited me for their barbecue,
I really appreciated their welfare and support cause in my whole
kayaking life, I was never been invited for a bbq after an expedition
or either any courses or shit.

So, a big thank you to all NUS ODAC team members!



NOT TO FORGET, I LOST MY OAKLEY!
IT IS THE SECOND OAKLEY WHICH THE SEA CONSUMED!
TOTAL LOSSES IS AMOUNTED UP TO SGD650!
Polarized Lens (SGD198)
M-FRAME + Sweep Lens (SGD278)
HALF JACKET + XLJ Lens (SGD240)

TOTAL HEART PAIN! :(

I guess the 'Sea Dragon King' loves my offering.
(direct translation from Mandarin).


CIAOS!




EIRELAV ULI

No comments: